LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Vielfras on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:29 pm

iheartz keeps the chapters coming. He is a blessing to all who are hacking their way through the machine translations. If you have an account on Jcafe be sure to thank him and +ran him.
I have yet to edit the last chapters of volume 4 so it will be some time before I get to this. iheartz leaves me little to do but still I have very little free time this month so I won't be getting round to this until he end of the month.

Chapter 1: The Tomb of the Great King

Spoiler:

Weed is walking out of the castle, considering the quest to make a tomb so great that it will become a legend. Although constructing a tomb so great that it will go down in history is an almost impossible task, Weed doesn’t give up. Drawing inspiration from the saying “Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% effort and the fact that Bingrong is both his biggest and most successful sculpture, Weed decides to make a tomb of an overwhelming size. While Weed is trying to find a way to accomplish building such a massive tomb, Pale messages him and asks him if Weed was ok and what happened. Weed replies that he received a commission from the King and Pale notes how Weed will be going away for a long while again (Pale was disappointed since he was barely with Weed for a couple of hours). However, to Pale’s surprise, Weed tells Pale that the quest can be shared and Pale then mentions how there is a ridiculous amount of users crowded in front of the palace. This sparks Weed’s interest because Tons of curious players + Weed’s need for a large workforce equals.... Weed walks out of the front entrance (instead of a smaller back entrance that he originally was planning on leaving through) and was immediately barraged by questions of how to meet the King, what Weed did that allowed him to meet the King, etc. Weed quickly glances at their equipment and noted that the people are mostly newbies (6 gold shield, 2 gold belt, etc) which is good seeing as most of the higher level players can obtain rare items on their own. Using Yell, Weed tells the crowd that he got a quest from the King of Rosenheim (arousing even further interest because most of the crowd thought Weed had only met with the King. Also, it a person mentions how it is the first direct quest ever given by a Monarch in the entire continent). The crowd grows even more excited, asking what the quest is and asking Weed how he got the quest. However to their surprise and delight, Weed announces the quest is shareable, which caused a whole avalanche of requests to share the quest. Weed tells the crowd that of course he’ll share the quest, at the measly fee of one gold, leaving the crowd to admire his generosity and discussing how Weed’s a wonderful person. The crowd immediately lines up with some pushing and shoving, and each person receives the quest:

Help the Engraver Weed create an impressive Tomb
In preparation for his death, the King of Rosenheim desires for a grand grave.
Difficulty: B
Rewards: If successful, you will receive +50 familiarity with the Royal Family. Depending on your contribution and the final results, additional rewards will be given.

The players are delighted to find that the Tomb quest is a B-Rank Quest, a rank that is usually restricted to the higher level players. Weed asks the crowd of a good place to create the tomb and a huge wave of hands shoot up, with suggestions to build on the Eastern Plains of Serahbourg, on the Northern Hills, etc. It mentions how one of the factors of how successful a sculpture is the environment that surrounds the sculpture (Feng Shui). After some consideration, Weed chooses to build on the Plains to the south of Serahbourg, seeing as that was the only practical place. (It’s extremely tiring and time consuming to bring rocks up a mountain, and there was already a quarry near the construction site) Weed then announces that they will begin construction, and states how seeing as the rewards will vary depending on the workload, the motivated people should start today. Weed and his followers then begin construction.

The news of the construction sped like lightning through the internet, with people posting on the Royal Road Forums of how a person in Rosenheim is sharing a B level quest. This is surprising because 1. Usually, the higher difficulty a quest is, the more selective the quest-sharer becomes, choosing only the best players for their group instead of selecting everybody. It was almost unheard of for a player to openly share a Rank B quest (the hardest quest rank ever completed currently; nobody has ever finished a Rank A quest yet) with anybody. 2. The quest was for an engraver. Furthermore, anybody can participate, not only higher levels. Although most of the time, attention was usually focused around the center of the continent and many people ignored the news from the peripheral smaller nations (Rosenheim wasn’t discovered that long ago) the quest drew a lot of interest from many players (some of them expressed their surprise at a Rank B quest, some commented on how it was a jackpot, a person mentioned how he was going to go to Rosenhiem for the quest, etc). The scene then switches to the players who are gathering stone from the quarry, with people hacking off the stone with their abilities (“Oh Wind, blow like a blade and slice the enemy! Wind Cutter!” and “Slice my enemy with the ax. Double X (Double Cross, Double X, Double Axe are my interpretations, probably going have to wait until the OSS translations come out though). After the stone was facture off, a group of users quarry off the stone falling into a line of groups which lead to a huge pile of stone. The users sweat profusely (and there may have even been a few tears) and they groan about how they are so tired they just feel dead, that this is insane, etc. However, lured by the promises of a Rank B reward, they continue on. Weed oversees the work, subtly planting rivalries by pointing out how the best group has already made 14 trips and how one group was better than the next. Pale looks at the thousands of men carrying stones, saying how it was a heinous crime to brainwash (Idk what “nogada” means so I’m just going with this) so many people and hears somebody telling him to go a little faster. He looks back for a moment at Surka, Irene, and Romune who are all carrying the stone, and then continues his way, struggling to lift the stone up.
It then describes how KMC (the game information channel) receives its information. Sometimes, it gets its information from fan sites and the Royal Road official homepage, but most of the time, it has to scan the entire internet for pieces of information. Unfortunately, most of the so-called “information” is trash so the job of many of the workers at KMC is salvaging from the “garbage.” Afterwards, the information is verified by the game experts/in-game players. Seeing as the B-Rank quest cause a huge uproar, the company immediately scheduled a meeting, starting off with asking if the information was reliable. One of the employees replied that the source was uncertain, but the even seemed to be true. The manager then asks if they have a correspondent over at Rosenheim to which a person mentioned that Sinhye Min was there. It then mentions how Min Sinhye was KMC’s most popular spokesperson. The manager tell them to immediately tell Min to try to obtain more information on this event, however, a person mentions how Min was busy doing something and was not available. This puzzled the director seeing as Min was never too late or too busy to reply. The point-of-view then shifts to Min, who is a character named May Run (or Maylon, Maylun, etc) who is currently struggling to haul an extremely heavy stone. May has played Royal Road for a long time now, at first simply hunting and running dungeons, raising her levels. However, later she discovered that having familiarity and reputation is also extremely helpful and sometimes necessary, so she is currently working on these two aspects. Her dream is to become a great adventurer; a righteous Ranger who helps save people who are in a crisis. However, right now, she is carrying a stone that is too heavy for her, ready to cry at any moment. The Ranger class don’t usually have many Strength (google trans: Power) stats because they usually invest in Agility (in addition to helpful for archery, agility is more useful for operating in the mountains/hilly terrain that Rangers operate in). Unfortunately for May, she is an exceptionally low-Strength ranger. May slowly looses her struggle against the weight of the stone, and feels it slowly falling on her. However, right before she gets crushed, the weight suddenly lightens, and a voice asks if May was ok. She looks behind her, and sees an Archer helping hold the stone up, surprised because Archers, like rangers, focus on their ranged attacks, aka, agility stats. May notes that the sweat was flowing from the Archer’s brow, and that he was struggling to hold up the stone, and she replies that she was fine and tells the Archer that she can manage it. However, he replies that he’ll help her carry the stone to the destination. Touched, she tells the archer that her name is May and asks him for his name so she can add him to her Friend’s list so they can private message each other. The Archer smiles at her and tells her that his name is Pale.

Chapter 2: The Pyramid and the Dignity of the King
Spoiler:


In the breaks between the work periods, Weed stands by cooking and serving a large bowl of grass porridge (thank you Licalier for translation) to the grateful workers free of charge, kindly advising them to take their time using. After eating the grass porridge, the workers’ hunger and thirst are fully satisfied, and they also gain 35 Stamina as well, a result of Weed’s lvl 4 Intermediate Cooking and lvl 9 Intermediate Dexterity. In addition to enhancing stats, eliminating hunger, and quenching thirst, the high skills also improve flavor, making a grass porridge cool (as in cold) and delicious. As a result, Weed became very well respected and liked, practically sharing a quest for free and offering free food for each other. The newbies felt especially grateful towards Weed, seeing as most of the lower level players don’t have much money and can only eat bread, or if they are really poor, tree bark and grass. A little girl, about 15 years old, smiles up at Weed and thanks him. Weed gives her the same smile that he did to the thousands of people before her, and tells her that it isn’t a problem. However if you closely examine this smiles, you can notice it seems to resemble the “con-artist” smile. But the girl, Lemon (I THINK Lemon is the girl. Either that, or s/he is the next person in line), didn’t notice it, and chattered on about how her team has already hauled eight pieces of stone. After being congratulated by Weed, she runs back to the quarry while Weed is handing out more porridge. Weed is agonizing the large money expenses (because he had to add meat into it as well), making grass porridge a 100 gold loss every day. However, its also an investments, seeing as it results in a tremendous climb in cooking skills over the day. So, instead of being a cost that Weed would spend sleepless nights agonizing about, giving out free porridge at a 100-gold per day expense is actually a pretty good idea, especially since it is partially funded by the newbies’ money. As a result of this, the workers see Weed as a philanthropist, offering food to those in need. However, in his head this is what he is actually thinking about: “Ok, so now I have spent 1,700 gold, with 99,300 gold remaining. In addition, I earned about 10,000 gold from the fee for the quest sharing. So in order to maximize profits....” To sum it up with a few words: Exploitation. Overworking. A rotten smile and plan that any vicious business owner would be envious of.

In the Rosenheim section of the Royal Road Homepage, there was a post titled “The Construction of the King’s Grave.” Under it are the lines: “Hello! This title refers to the B-Rank quest that everybody was talking about. To see it, click on the video link beneath.” If a person presses play, an awe-inspiring sight appears, with tons of stone being quarried and transported. However, upon closer observation, the one of the stone-carrying teams seems to be filled with children and women, walking shoulder-to-shoulder and struggling with moving a heavy stone. You can even hear the conversations between them: “Girl A: Sis, the rock’s too heavy. Girl B: Don’t worry, we need to struggle on. All we need to do is fill the quota of 12 stones.” Around them, you can see many more other carrying-teams, full of men and women, regardless of age, transporting stones. Occasionally, somebody will fall and sometimes unluckily, be crushed by the unsupported stone. The viewers of video gaped, and some commented “What is this?” “Wait, are you sure this isn’t an execution ground, or a concentration camp?” “Hmmm, they seem to be building it near the side of Serahbourg” “This is the reality of Sculpture” etc. Over time, the workers have accumulated all of the building materials (many different types of rocks, with external walls and internal walls having different colors, etc) at the construction site, a near-impossible task that has now been completed thanks to the power of thousands of human beings.

After the last stone, the workers sprawl out on the ground, celebrating the fact that they finished carrying. However, the job is far from finished. In fact, this is when construction begins. Weed begins to smooth out the rocks and direct the placement of the stone, with the work proceeding surprisingly smoothly thanks to the assistance of the Clans in Rosenhiem. In the more developed countries (remember that Rosenhiem is still a “frontier” and newly discovered country) clans usually earn their money from occupying a piece of land (town, city, county, state, etc) and taxing those who buy and sell on the land. The biggest way to increase that money is to increase the amount and quality of property that the clans controls, with bigger and more developed lands making more of product A (note: the book does not use “Product A” I’m just using it to avoid any confusion), causing prices to drop (it takes less money to produce product A and you can also lower the prices of product A to attract more customers) and an increase in profit. Also, once your land reaches a certain technological level, weapons and armor manufacturers start to appear as well, with a higher tech level leading to better weapons. Therefore, in order to attract the most people, most clans usually invest heavily in commercial and technical development. Most guilds start out in a castle overseeing a small town, going through this pattern of development. However, a significant boost to the population of the town can come in the form of things like a discovery of a gold mine. If a gold mine is discovered, more people will visit/move to the town, do business, and an extra, regular source of income will be added. In addition, the chances that a powerful monster will be living in the mine will draw many players hoping to gain rare items. Lastly, the mine will add extra jobs and also extra quests, usually involving things like protection quests (“Protect group X of miners”) or elimination quests (“Hunt down X monsters”). However, Rosenhiem is practically an infant trying to walk compared to development and competition of the central nations. Even if, for example, mines were found, it wouldn’t matter if there was not many players in the country. So, in a bid to raise the reputation (google trans: public value) of Rosenhiem, the Clans of Rosenhiem were glad to cooperate. (Note: I think the Clans contributed, I’m about 75% sure on that. However, I couldn’t see any other reasonable way for the novel to be talking about building tombs and suddenly switching to the development of Clans)

After accepting the help of the guilds and working for a while, Geomchi (Martial artist) messages Weed saying that Geomchi’s group has visited the Jamaican Guild (the group that ambushed and killed the disciples in Vol 4) and asks Weed if he needs any assistance. Weed asks if they were all right, and after waiting for a short while, Geomchi answers that he teached them a lesson, and fought them in a narrow cave/hall, and exterminated them. Distracted by his work, Weed says goodbye to Geomchi. With the help of the clans of Rosenhiem, the tomb construction was running smoothly, with stones being piled up in the shape of a large retangle. However, people noticed that the sides slightly tapered in, with the floor of the bottom being wider than the floor right above it. The news slowly spread, the tomb was a pyramid. Being buildings that are even hard to build with today’s science and technologies the Pyramids are usually associated with legends and shadows, with a labyrinthine interior and new passages still being discovered after 12 years of research and mapping. However, Weed’s interior design was simpler (because he didn’t have reference for the inside of a pyramid), a design based off of the 30 floor apartment he lived in as a child. The interior contains 3 bedrooms and one bathroom, the generic apartment layout in Korea. While decorating the rooms, a person wondered why they needed bathrooms inside a pyramid, seeing as there’s no water supply (?). He was then immediately answered by the person next to him, who said how great artists didn’t follow the laws of mundane people, using how Leonardo da Vinci’s ideas were originally scorned by the public as an example. The first person then thought about it, and said that they should make a bathroom after all. The rooms are decorated with art that Mapan relatively inexpensively purchased and statues that Weed carved. Before the decorating stage, only 1,600 gold (the total cost of the grass porridge) was expended, due to the principle of unpaid labor that Weed followed. In addition, by purchasing artwork through Mapan and personally carving statues, the decorating costs were reduced from around 40,000 gold to just 9,700 gold. However, if the decorations are too inferior, the quest will fail. Unlike a monster-hunt quest where you can just try again, the King’s Tomb quest will be a huge blow to Weed. As a result, Weed tried his best, buying high quality carpets and artwork, and carving each statue with care. However, even though it was a mausoleum of an unsurpassed size and magnificent decorations, something was missing. Even if it was of a magnificent size, a simple tomb is not enough for the King. The tomb of a monarch should be more than a grave, it should be a symbol.

Weed suddenly got an idea, and he headed towards the natural rock formation that was behind the Pyramid, taking out his tools. Seeing as ice is a lot less strong than rock, it was a lot harder to carve, with Weed slowly hacking off bits of the rock for days. Curiously, carving statue itself wasn’t that difficult (only needing sleek lines and a little carving here and there) due to the immense size of the statue (which makes any fine carving unnoticeable). As Weed chipped at the stone, the statue gradually began to take shape; it was a lion. Faced towards the boundary of Rosenhiem and Brent (Rosenhiem’s greatest enemy), the lion was based on one of the proudest feats of the King, who defeated Brent Kingdom in a war that laid the foundation for prosperity. When a true piece of art is created, it should not only be aesthetically pleasing. Appearance is important, but the key to a successful sculpture lies in emotion. Just like the great music of musicians and the paintings of painters, there is not true sculpture that is made without emotion. Weed had not forgotten the ramblings of the King as he recalled his past, and this proved to be extremely useful now in order for Weed to understand the King. Embodying the aura of might and power of the King, the Lion acts as a protector for the kingdom of Rosenheim and the guardian of the Final resting place for the King. Finally, Weed finishes the statue:
“Ting!
Reward for Making Lion Statue:
Made with by an engraver with excellent dexterity and the solidification of his efforts and sweat. The fame of the engraver will spread throughout the continent.

Lion Statue:
Made of solid granite, the Lion possess a strong and brave temperament. The Lion will forever protect the Rosenheim Kingdom.
Artistic Value: 4,700
Effects:
Those who access the statue will gain the Lion’s Courage (Google trans: Lion award) buff, increasing health and mana regeneration by 30% for a day.
+15% increase in movement speed
+20% magic resistance
+15% increase in maximum vitality
+20% increase in Stamina
Stats rise by 16
Lion’s Roar effect:
Monster’s abilities in the surrounding are will degrade
All surrounding enemy beasts will lose moral
Fighting Spirit of the player is increased when fighting near the Lion (google trans: climbing ability in the field of lions)

While near monsters, the Lion’s Courage effect cannot be applied (google trans: Lion Award in the nearby monsters can not be accessed)
This effect cannot be combined with any effects of other sculptures

Completed Masterpieces: 3


-Sculpture skill has risen to Intermediate lvl 9. This allows for the construction of even more delicate art
-Dexterity has reached Intermediate lvl 10. Dexterity skill is now transformed into Advanced lvl 1.
You gain a bonus when using hand tools and an increase in damage with all weapons.
You can now learn certain skills related to the hand
Hand combat skills can now be learned regardless of profession
-Skill Received: Telekinesis (google trans: mind hand)
(these are the rewards granted to Weed for making the statue)
-You gained 630 reputation
+16 Art
+12 Patience (endurance maybe?)
+6 Stamina
-The Lion has been added to the list of the Wonders of the East
-Weed is the owner of the Lion. If life is given to the Lion, it will begin with a high loyalty towards Weed
-You have created a Masterpiece. You gain 1 point in each stat (?)
(this is about reward for getting advanced dexterity)
-You have received the title: “the Dexterous” (google trans: ultimate dexterity gilkkaji pumped?) due to your unprecendented dexterity.

After Weed saw these rewards, he started cackling on the face of the Lion (he just finished the statue and didn’t even come down yet). His “con” smile has been replaced by a genuine one, as he finally reached advanced dexterity, a stage where the player’s mind and hand are one. Weed looks up the new skill he learned
“Skill Check: Telekinesis
Telekinesis: After achieving a near-legendary level of dexterity, you can form a “third hand” using your mind. Using the “third hand” it is possible to manipulate objects and even attack enemies. However, it is not possible for your “third hand” to use any skills (ex: hand combat skills)
Mana Cost: 2 Mana is consumed per second (the 2 might just be a google trans goof-up)”

Seeing as this skill gave Weed the ability to reach high or far-to-reach places, this was a good skill for Weed. (speculation) However, it didn’t interest Weed that much because of its uselessness in combat. (end speculation) His real joy came from the stats he received after he made a masterpiece. Seeing as they aren’t a combat class, pure stats are an extremely important factor in combat for engravers. However, the G/great Masterpieces (not sure if its just a great Masterpiece or a Great Masterpiece) are created almost at random. Furthermore, the stats usually received by creating a sculpture are usually endurance, stamina, and art. In direct combat, strength, agility, wisdom, knowledge, etc. are needed. So that means no matter how many amazing sculptures that an engraver creates, he will only get supporting stats.

While Weed was carving on the rock, a large crowd had gathered near the ground, most of the audience anxious and afraid, seeing as Weed had stayed up there for a couple of days without food or drink, hammering on the rock. However, their fear slowly changed to excitement, as the statue was slowly given shape until finally, the Lion statue was finished, radiating majesty and power, becoming the symbol for Rosenheim Kingdom. However, many of the people were too preoccupied with something else, the effects of the statue. “Holy Crap! Look at your strength” “My life is....” “Check out your stats people!” After the onlookers opened their character windows, they were shocked. The Priest class was the main class that could improve another character’s abilities, with some small exceptions like the Bard class. However, it was possible for classes like Sculptors to give a slight improvement to stats as well. Among the onlookers, there were some who knew that statues could give stats, but none of them had ever seen the near-absurd amount of buffs that the Lion gave. “OMG! All of the stats are increased” “Look at that boost to magic resistance!” “Buffing for a whole day?! I’m going to have to visit the Lion every day now” “Hm...the engraver job seems to be useful...” With the creation of the Lion, Weed has suddenly revealed the true power of the Sculptor class, a fact almost unknown by all of the players of Royal Road. “But what good is fighting spirit anyways?” “Don’t you know, the stronger level you are, the more you enemies’ skills weaken. However, that works in reverse too. So the higher your fighting spirit stat is, the less your skills get reduced.”
Usually, lower level players have to team up against the stronger monsters. However, with the increase provided by the statue, it allows the player to fight against stronger monsters on a more equal footing. As the crowd buzzed about the stats provided by the statue, many of the Clans’ message boards were overflowing with people talking about how they discovered a great profession, and how the Sculptor class wasn’t meaningless garbage.

However, Weed was completely ignorant of the commotion he caused, still tied to the face of the statue, savoring his joy over the fact that he reached Intermediate lvl 9 Engraving and Advanced Dexterity. Usually titles were only given upon the completion of certain quests, or after the slaying of a legendary monster. However, it was possible, albeit rare, for the production classes to obtain titles as well. But it was only possible for the most outstanding players in their respective fields to obtain a title. That would been that Weed was the first player to reach the advanced dexterity skill. This would become a small milestone in the legend of Weed. (?)

The scene switches to Pale, who is introducing his new girlfriend, May Lon to his friends. Surka, Irene, and Romune are all thrilled to have met her. Although Pale once had a childhood crush on Romune, he found his true love in Romune. The two explained that although it had only been a short time since they have met each other, they have discovered that they liked each other. Suddenly, Surka, who was looking intently at May Lon’s face, remarks on how she finds May’s face familiar. The 2 other girls chime in as well, also noticing something familiar, yet subtly different about her face. Pale was equally puzzled mentioning that he was vaguely familiar with May’s face even during their first meeting. After a moment of indecision, May explains that she was Sinhye Min, shocking the (Pale’s) party. May apologizes, saying that she wasn’t trying to hide anything, but the rest of the party ignored her apologies, instead enthusiastically saying how you can actually meet famous people on Royal Road, how May Long looks almost the same as she does on the show, how she was a little bit different, etc. The girls then began asking May a stream of questions, about how her program found the famous players (May replied that she doesn’t know, she just talks about/to people), if she got any gifts or equipment after the interview (sometimes, but not that often), where she met Pale (the moment she came here). Then, Romune suddenly interjected, asking if the company allows May to wander wherever she wants. May says that the company does, but right now, she is covering the news about the Pyramid. Romune asks if she wanted to see Weed, and May brightly replied that she also wanted to interview Weed. She then explained that although she was at the pyramids because of Pale, her job is to interview Weed (she gets paid depending on how much information she gets) and (speculation) says that she feels like its going to be easy since Weed seems like a nice person (end speculation). Romune and Pale tells May that she had a very big misconception about Weed, and then (speculation) start filling May in about the “real” Weed (end speculation)

Ever since the day the statue was build, Weed had been besieged by people wanting Weed to join their Clan, each boasting that their clan was better than the others. Some proudly said that their guild was the largest in Rosenheim, another offered to give a reward for every sculpture that Weed made, acceptance into hunting parties, and even buying some items for Weed. Weed also received offers to go to the center of the continent, etc. However, there were also conditions attached to the offers as well, such as only selling the created sculptures to the clan, and items are only leased and could be taken away at any time, etc. However, Weed rejected all of the proposals on the basis that he would be losing a lot of his freedom. As time passed, the flood of invitations slowly decreased. Although initially, creating the Lion ensured that all of the clans were clamoring to invite Weed and competing with each other to snag up the talent, the clans soon thought things over, thinking that it was impossible to duplicate a masterpiece, that the statue would be so large it couldn’t be monopolized, that portability would be a huge issue, that the buff only lasts for one day so its pretty much impossible to have the buff and fight monsters away from the towns (since the monsters are so far away that the buff would wear off before the player reaches the monsters), etc. Seeing as the workers were also building the Pyramid while Weed was carving the Lion, the Pyramid was nearly finished as well. However, because of the sheer size of the Pyramid, it was still not complete. In addition, it was increasingly difficult to build the higher levels, seeing as it was hard to lift the stone that high. Therefore, the stone had to be lifted up a temporary slope made of dirt and sand, slowly carried up to the top.


Chapter 3: Strength of a Craftsman (can maybe also mean creator/sculptor/constructor?)

Spoiler:

The chapter starts off (begins when after Geomchi and Weed messaged each other in Chp 2?) with Geomchi, wondering where their group to head to now. After pondering for a while, and getting many suggesting to got to Rosenheim to somebody (I think its Weed), they decide to return to Rosenheim. It then goes to the current time, where the disciples are moving the stone, not because they want the compensation (I don’t think they even know about it?) but because it was a “manly” thing to do. However, because of their stacked agility and strength stats (I believe it’s the only 2 stats they bother leveling) they do significantly better than the average stone-lugger.
Meanwhile, Weed, along with Pale, Surka, Irene, Romune, and the newly joined May was having a relaxed time watching the laborers struggle while sipping homemade lemonade and eating kimchi (google it if you don’t know what it is). After having the kimchi being devoured in seconds, Weed laughs and asks if anybody wants more (?), to which May (?) replies 10 servings more. Pale is surprised at this, but May explains, with Surka nodding her head, that in Royal Road, it doesn’t matter how much a person eats, they’ll never get fat. This means that people don’t have to watch their weight in Royal Road. After finishing off the kimchi, they decide to take advantage of Weed’s Lion statue and go hunting (because now, all of the decorating has finished so all that’s left is for the workers to finish the top of the pyramid). Currently, out of the five, Irene had the lowest level, at 225. Pale and Surka, at lvl 230, are a little bit higher. Therefore, there isn’t much of a gap between Pale’s party and Weed, who is about 20 lvls (?) higher. However, the others were still a little envious of Weed, but they didn’t know that Weed usually sleeps about four hours a day, and spends most of his time playing Royal Road. However, despite the four-hour sleep time, Weed does not feel any side effects, mentioning how sleeping four hours was a hundred times better than working in the dusty chambers of the textile factory. Because of the huge quantity of dust and harmful clothing dye, the medical bills incurred for treating the illnesses eventually equaled Weed’s wages. After that, Weed has devoted some time every day to exercising and keeping his body healthy. In addition, whenever he goes to sleep, he tells himself “I can sleep well, I will sleep well, I will deeply slumber for four hours (?), I will dream happily” and other such seemingly meaningless phrases. Surprisingly though, this strategy worked, calming his mind so he achieves a good rest. Furthermore, unlike his childhood, he could work without constantly harassed by debt collectors and have fun at the same time, playing Royal Road.
When they were about to go off on their hunt, they were approached by Geomchi, and his 4 assistant teachers (at the dojo), who also wanted to come along. Although most of the trainees were around lvl 180, these five have exceeded level 200, due to their focus on hunting and ignoring any quests. (Ed’s Note: Although doing quests gives you exp, you usually gain less exp from it then if you spent the entire time hunting monsters. However, doing quests gives you reputation, rare items, gold, and provides a break from the constant boredom of hunting monsters, which is why people do quests). In addition, all of the martial artists have obtained the Martial Arts job (idk what its actually called, Shaolin maybe?), with the ability to use any weapon and deal lots of damage. Unlike its predecessors, Royal Road is not a simple “click and kill” rpg game. Instead, the attacks of a player’s avatar in Royal Road are controlled by the neurons (?) in the mind. Most players usually start off relying on their moves, stats and armor in Royal Road to gain an edge over their opponents, gradually learning how to fight. However, these five people are all expert sword fighters and martial artists, meaning that they are a lot stronger than the average player their level. After eliminating the hunting grounds that are too far away (most of the people in the party can’t ride horses/don’t have horses), they decided to go the Valley of the Huntress, populated by lvl 280 whip wielding hunters/huntress. Weed mentions that the Hunters have a strange behavioral pattern, which is to wait until a party has fully entered the forest in the valley before ambushing them, ensuring that the players cannot escape (because they are too deep into the forest). In addition, they use guerrilla tactics to slowly wear the enemy down. Soon, they arrive at the Valley of the Huntress, with Surka being a little spooked thinking about how the Hunters can be watching from the multitude of dark shadows in the forest. She asks if its possible to go to the outskirts of the forest to fight, to which Weed replies that the Hunters/Huntresses won’t attack if they do. Weed then starts pulling out various tools (a grinding wheel, rocks, etc) and Irene curiously asks what Weed is doing. Weed asks everybody to unequip their weapons and armor in preparation for the battle (and Irene says “Oh yeah!” implying that she knows about Weed’s skills). Amazed, May PMs (private messages) Pale and asks what Weed was doing. Originally, she thought that everybody was in a party with Weed just because Weed was their friend, seeing as it was usually acknowledged that all manufacturing classes were “dead-weights” who were almost useless in combat. However, Pale, Romune, Irene, and Surka all seem to treat Weed as the leader (usually reserved for tanks and people with high charisma and leadership) and follow Weed’s decisions. What is even stranger than the 4 following Weed is the bizarre behavior of Weed before the battle, taking out a grinding stone and a piece of cloth. Seeing May’s confused look, Pale smiled and explained that Weed has Intermediate Blacksmithing skills. This surprises May a lot, seeing as there weren’t a large amount of people in the continent with Intermediate Blacksmithing skills. However, the fact that Weed wasn’t only an Engraver but an Intermediate Blacksmither was incredible. By the time May finished thinking this through, Weed had already enhanced the rest of the party’s armor and weapons. Overcoming her indecision, May steps up and hands Weed her bow. Weed takes it and is shocked by the fact that May’s bow was an unique item worth a thousand USD.
“Bow of the High Elves (google trans: bow high elves hands of Venice): 40/40 durability. Attack 75. Range 16.
Strung from the hair of elves, this bow grants many benefits to the user and fear to the enemy.
Restrictions: Lvel 230. Agility 700. Rangers only
Stats:
+10 Strength
+10 Agility
+60% Accuracy (Note: google trans says “accuracy 60.” Idk if it means +60% accuracy or +60 accuracy stat)
+25% effects of rapid fire skills
Decreases the enemy’s mana with each attack (Note: May be to mana drain, increase mana cost of enemy’s skills, reduce/refund mana with every hit on the enemy, etc)
Attacks to slow enemies will not miss

Craftsman Effect:
This effect lasts until you lose 10 durability (?)
+10 Durability (?)
+10 Strength
+9 Attack
+20 Strength
+15 Agility
+16 Accuracy
+10% effect of rapid-fire skills
+5 to Range

After Weed reluctantly returned the bow to May, she did a double take at the stats. In a couple of seconds, Weed has managed to improve the performance of the bow by almost 20%. She muses about the strength of an intermediate blacksmith and about how the bow was a gift from her friend (?). Although the bow was a little lacking in durability, there wasn’t much downsides to the bow. Unlike heavy weapons (I assume this means harder weapons) like swords which have high durability, bows generally have low durability anyways. However, her surprise didn’t sop there. Pale tells May to give Weed her armor, which is strange for May seeing as her armor belongs to the “cloth” category which are solely under the management of the tailor class (because blacksmiths only handle metal). May chooses to listen to Pale, and gives Weed a familiar 7-colored armor, which turns out to be one of the items that Weed made from the prismatic cloth and sold at the auction. After a few seconds, May receives it back from Weed and is stunned to discover the huge improvement in her equipment. There was an increase in defense, vitality recovery speed increase, etc. While May is in a state of shock and disbelief, Weed takes out his cooking tools and tells everybody that he’s going to make a steak. Weed cooks the steak, with the audience of Pale, Irene, Surka, and Romune who like watching as well as eating Weed’s cooking. As the steak slowly finished cooking (with Irene and Romune’s eyes growing brighter) the martial art disciples were slowly drawn towards the smell, mentioning things like how it smelled a hundred times better than Barely bread, etc. The first steak was devoured by Romune, and the 2nd went to Irene. Afterwards, the rest were devoured by the disciples, with each steak becoming increasingly rare (less cooked rare, not scarce rare) because the steak was being devoured so fast.
After being praised by Geomchi for being a good cook, Weed procures a wineskin filled to the brim with wine created using his herb-gathering skill, with several different herbs, grapes and left for a couple weeks to brew. When a user’s cooking skill reached the Intermediate level, it allows for a wider variety of foods and drinks to be created, in addition, it also offers some ways to improve food effects. In the case of this wine, drinking a cup of wine will maximize the effect of the food buff, almost doubling the effect of the food and also given more strength and power. After handing the wine and some side dishes (dried beef?) to Geomchi, another one of the instructors raised his hand and said that he was a little bit thirsty as well. Naturally, the three remaining disciples clamored for the wine as well. The effect of the wine lasts for 10 minutes. However, in that short 10 minutes, an amazing damage increase is added, and seeing as the average fight lasts around 2 minutes, the wine provides a huge damage increase. That is why after the 5 martial artists finished the wine, Weed gave it to Pale, who had to be convinced that the wine gave a huge increase to stamina, vitality, and strength. Meanwhile, during all of this May was like “WTF is this...I don’t even know” on the account that she had never ever seen something like this before (keep in mind that she’s a news reporter as well). Because of the fact that buffs can improve the entire party’s combat capability, many parties wanted buffers on their team and most large clans are guaranteed to have at least a couple buffers (priests, bards, dancers, etc). However, a party relying on craftsmen buffs was completely unheard of. Everybody is aware of the fact that craftsmen can buff people, but a party with all of these different job buffs makes it pretty much equal/exceeding the buffs of even a priest. She then comes out of her thinking and observes the martial artists begging Weed for more wine, making pathetic and sad puppy-faces. Although Weed was originally opposed to it, they overcame him with arguments like how they are still low level newbies so they need an edge, how they just want a sip, etc. Resigned, Weed takes out several more bottles in a variety of colors such as dark, transparent, amber, black, and light blue. After drinking they shouted that their stamina increased, how it almost seems like liquid energy, how it is the best wine. Weed however, had a pained feeling in his chest, watching the 5 martial artists down the wine at a terrifying speed. Although the majority of the ingredients made from the wine was gathered, the grapes and bottle was worth a silver. However, Weed felt that he could be a little generous, seeing as Weed currently has 70,000 gold right now, mostly earned from the construction money given for the castle by exploiting a huge workforce, using cheap materials, etc. While Weed was thinking about this, Geomchi was trying to get Pale to drink, saying stuff like how a man should know how to drink, etc. Soon, Pale, Irene, Romune, Surka and Maylon were drinking as well. Quickly all of their faces turned red from all the wine they drunk. However, Weed mostly ignored them until a window popped up:
“-Your party has been hammered from the excessive drinking
Vitality declines by 70%
Agility and Strength is reduced by half
They no longer possess Wisdom or Knowledge. You cannot use mana.
Until they become sober, they will feel dizzy and will experiences hallucinogenic effects.
Drunk Party List: Geomchi, Geomdulchi, Geomsamchi, Tests, Geomohchi (the 5 martial artists), Pale, Surka, Irene, Romune, Maylon.”
Weed looks over, and sees the drunk party laying on the ground, talking about the stars and how it was a good idea to come to this valley to drink, etc. And this was when the first Huntress attack party pops up, calling them intruders and saying how they will never get out alive. Weed, however, just sighed, slightly irritated with the fact that the whole party was drunk, and then turned to face the Huntresses.

Weed pulls out his necklace and summons his Death Knight, ordering him to attack her. Before attacking however, the Death Knight explains that he recognizes Weed as his master/commander, so Weed no longer has to equip the necklace to summon the Death Knight (Note: As far as I know, the average player only has one necklace item slot, so now, Weed can equip other things into that slot) Now, Weed can equip a necklace, which usually can provide huge bonuses in stats. However, more importantly, the Death Knight will no longer “leech” of 20% of all experience that Weed gains while the Death Knight is summoned. Now, the Death Knight will just level up and gain experience for himself. The Death Knight then attacks the Huntress with the skill “Death Blade” but however, since the Huntress was a pretty high level enemy, it (Note: I don’t know what the Huntress is or even if it’s a male or female, google trans was super ambiguous) didn’t die immediately. Weed then uses Agatha’s Ring to buff himself and then proceeds to attack the enemy (I think he either uses “Triple” or “Engraving Blade”). In reaction to Weed’s threat, the Huntress changed its focuses and attacked him instead. However, Weed’s free palm moved, almost magically turning aside all of Huntress' attacks. He thrusts his sword at the head of the Huntress, scoring a critical hit and killing the Huntress. Then, they continue fighting the other Huntresses. Seeing as Weed had the diving blessing and a very high defense, he was almost unscathed by the Hunters. In addition, with his Agatha’s Sword in one hand, and the Zahab Engraving Knife in the other, he mowed through the life of the other Huntresses with ease. Soon, the group died. However, after looting, they were almost immediately jumped by another group of Huntresses. Seeing as the entire Valley was filled with Huntresses, it would take a skilled party to survive. However, since the rest of his party were drunk deadweights at the moment, all of the combat fell on the shoulders of Weed and his Death Knight. They fought on and on, with Weed strategically countering the enemy and sometimes taking blows in order for the Death Knight to use his full power, something that would be nearly impossible without innate battle potential. Although he attempted to minimize mana and health cost, he inevitably took damage, which he always healed with his bandages in the small gaps between each battle, slightly increasing his first aid skill (either that, or slowing the decline of his life). Although Weed has built up an almost ridiculous amount of endurance from his statue carving and used the minimum amount of skills, his stamina eventually dwindled, until it reached the point where even lifting a sword is hard. Although Huntress after Huntress died, the Death Knight and Weed’s situation grew increasingly perilous, therefore, Weed had to do something. Sighing, and stating that he didn’t want to spend this much money, he takes out his spices, salt, and other cooking supplies and tosses them over the Huntresses. As the spices, salt, etc hit the wounds of Hunters, entered the eyes, and got inside of the mouths, they became panicked and gave agonized cries. Taking advantage of the fact that when the enemy’s concentration is disrupted, attacks can do a lot more damage, Weed continues attacking, fighting desperately to prevent death. If he dies, then most of his intermediate skills will fall by around 5% and his level may even drop by 1-2. Although it isn’t that big of a deal to most people, Weed desperately tried to avoid dying, using the blessings of his holy items, using the landscape around him, sprinkling seasoning, etc.

While Weed is fighting for his live, the others secretly look on, whispering about how Weed has gotten really skilled, how Weed’s survival skill was even greater/worse than that of a cockroach (I guess it depends on whether its from the cockroaches’ point of view or the person trying to kill it). Surka and Pale couldn’t conceal their envy over Weed’s fighting skills. Although it was easy to rely on mana and techniques, integrating basic sword and body movements into a fight was extremely difficult. In addition, Weed uses just enough stamina to fight the Huntresses, and takes blows when necessary. Maylon too, was looking at Weeds fight, stunned. Although she was startled when the Death Knight was summoned (which meant that Weed had an extremely rare item since he wasn’t a summoner) all of the tricks that Weed used was even more shocking to Maylon. On the other side, are the martial artists, measuing Weed’s skills and commenting on how Weed did good, how he had an innate ability for combat, and how Weed had a significant understanding of the sword, how only masters (in real life, not the game) can used such improvised techniques, etc. It then explains how drinking the alcohol and falling drunk was all a part of Geomchi’s plan to see how Weed fights against enemies with his own eyes. He was extremely pleased with the result. Although Royal Road is a virtual reality game that can rely on basic skills, the struggling in a fight doesn’t necessarily mean a person grows more skilled with a sword. In fact, the struggle sometimes inhibits the player’s learning, seeing as some people rely more on skills than basic movement. Then, Weed’s party decided to join in on the combat, with Romune starting with a “Fire Bolt” and Maylon and Pale both using “Dedeulri (?) Shot”. Irene then casts the recovery spell “Therapeutic Touch” (I beseech the Holy Spirit, please deliver this person from their suffering), “Recovery” (Infuse this tired body with energy) and “Bless” (Bestow upon him the powers to fight this evil). Afterwards, a full-scale hunt was launched, with Romune’s fire magic, May and Pale’s arrows, Surka’s fists, Geomchi and his 4 companions’ powerful martial art attacks, Weed’s support, and the Death Knight’s assistance. Soon, they crushed the Huntresses’ group and moved onto the next one.

Sorry for the slow update, even to post this I had to do it secretly so the officers don't find out. The terrorist attack in Turkey is causing me quite a huge headache for me...


Last edited by Vielfras on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 am; edited 4 times in total

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-07-12

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Namorax on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Awww... how sweet^^

But somehow the image of a reporter-ranger is a little bit silly to me. She can travel the lands, avoid monsters and use her reputation to get interview with persons of interest.
but if it makes her day? At least she can say that she's doing her job and not just playing around.

Btw, is Pale really a strong archer? The type of User who uses bows that require more strength then usual and compensates his lack of agility/dexterty with his own aiming?

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 74
Join date : 2011-07-13

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Mojo on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Thank you very much

BTW I think the saying goes "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" see it rhymes? Very Happy

I love Weed being all Tom Sawyer (I.E. the fence white washing incident) on those people, "Sure I'll share my quest, Muahaha!!"

Mojo
Reader
Reader

Posts : 13
Join date : 2011-08-30

Character sheet
Name: Tampopo
Class: Mage
Race: Wood Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Knight on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:36 am

Yet another Awesome Summary by iheartz =D
A special thanks to Vielfras for posting and editing =D Very Happy
avatar
Knight
Reader
Reader

Posts : 16
Join date : 2011-09-09
Age : 22
Location : Paradise

Character sheet
Name: Knight
Class: Holy Knight
Race: Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

@namorax

Post  Vandermillion on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:51 am

@namorax

I don't think that Pale is a strength-archer as the passage said "May notes that the sweat was flowing from the Archer’s brow, and that he was struggling to hold up the stone". Think he was trying to be manly/chivalrous/obnoxious (depends on whose perspective). Would be nice if he was a strong archer, though I believe that strength is for crossbows which I have yet to find Pale using at any point of the novel (mind you machine-translations are hard as heck to read).

Vandermillion
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  xenocross on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:49 am

Namorax wrote:

But somehow the image of a reporter-ranger is a little bit silly to me. She can travel the lands, avoid monsters and use her reputation to get interview with persons of interest.

Not really
She hides the fact that she is Sinhye Min, the famous broadcaster. She only reveal it to Pale and party, and Weed of course. She dream of being adventurer, and that is unrelated on her job

I remember reading that she want to get a leave so she can focus on the game LOL Laughing

xenocross
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 3
Join date : 2011-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Namorax on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Isn't she also the "contact" for her... what is it? Tv-sender, magazine, newspaper? Anyway, she created her character in this "backwater" kingdom so her workplace would have someone in place should anything at all happen. But she went ahead and took a few days off, isnt that kinda ironic?

She goes and takes some days off, just to share Weeds Tomb-Quest and at the same day, her chief wants to ask her to make a report on exactly that. If she had waited she would be paid to play! Very Happy

I guess that means Pale is also some "normal" archer, but I thought that maybe after seeing Weed he would start thinking outside the box. I mean, Weed is a Sculptor, a class thats almost famous for being weak and unwanted. And he could still own everyone Pale knows.
But if you're honest... no matter how strong you are, carrying such a block of stone by yourself isnt something anyone can do by himself.

BTW, is it mentioned how old Sinhye Min/Pale is?

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 74
Join date : 2011-07-13

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  laserface on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Namorex, Pale is in college and (I think) still living with his parents. The same with the rest of his party. As for Sin Mie... that's not clear, but she is a reporter for a big time news channel so she should be out of college. I'd estimate Pale is 19-21 years old and Sin Mie is 25-28 years old.
avatar
laserface
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2011-08-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Namorax wrote:Btw, is Pale really a strong archer? The type of User who uses bows that require more strength then usual and compensates his lack of agility/dexterty with his own aiming?

Do you remember how in one of the earlier volumes Weed asked Pale & Co. to take care of the 505 sword master/disciples? When I read the machine translation, I think that in addition to providing bread, Pale & Co. also trained on the wooden dummies along with them.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  evertosword on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:16 pm

fg109 wrote:
Namorax wrote:Btw, is Pale really a strong archer? The type of User who uses bows that require more strength then usual and compensates his lack of agility/dexterty with his own aiming?

Do you remember how in one of the earlier volumes Weed asked Pale & Co. to take care of the 505 sword master/disciples? When I read the machine translation, I think that in addition to providing bread, Pale & Co. also trained on the wooden dummies along with them.

I don't remember that happening in the official volume 1 translation. Pale & Co. did train with Weed on wolves and whatnot.
avatar
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 60
Join date : 2011-08-02

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Namorax on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Thats because the 505 Dojo disciples went there after volume 1 (dont remember when exactly...). Check out the spoiler summaries for the other volumes and you will see that Pale&Friends were asked by Weed to take care of them.

Thats what fg109 meant. Of course Pale didnt train on the Scarecrow in Volume 1, thats correct.^^

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 74
Join date : 2011-07-13

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Goodknight on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 pm

laserface wrote:Namorex, Pale is in college and (I think) still living with his parents. The same with the rest of his party. As for Sin Mie... that's not clear, but she is a reporter for a big time news channel so she should be out of college. I'd estimate Pale is 19-21 years old and Sin Mie is 25-28 years old.

I think Pale and his friends were living away from his parents (which was why he and his friends got away with playing so much). However, because of some reason or another (his parent's visited/got called by the professors?), his parents found out that Pale & Co were blowing off their college time (aka money) on video games, they got mad. And as for the news reporters, she might be around Pale's age to, seeing as she might have been hired before going to college because she was young, female, talkative, likable, and played Royal Road (so she actually understands and is interested in what she's talking about). But who knows?

fg109 wrote:
Do you remember how in one of the earlier volumes Weed asked Pale & Co. to take care of the 505 sword master/disciples? When I read the machine translation, I think that in addition to providing bread, Pale & Co. also trained on the wooden dummies along with them.

Does Pale have the time to train that much? Since all of the martial artists don't have any other jobs or anything (I think). They just earn their money from scholarships and championship money. Pale, on the other hand, has to go to college, do homework, etc. Also, I know that Pale watched the disciples hitting the scarecrows, but I don't think he actually participated/participated to a large extent. And lastly, the +45 strength that is gained from training on scarecrows can easily be gained by eating some foods/being buffed/equipping items, or just level up 9 lvls, etc. So, the only reason why training pays off is that a person can rely on it for the rest of their game. So, Pale would probably need a huge strength stat much higher than hitting scarecrows can provide to be a "strength" archer. Lastly, I don't think that strength affects bow damage. I vaguely remember seeing that some bows have a strength requirement to use, but if Royal Road is like real life, then it doesn't matter how strong you are, as long as you can pull the bow back all the way. Therefore the amount of damage you can do with the bow demands on how finely you can control your body, aka dexterity/agility. Also, if its based off most RPG games, then agility/dexterity affects the bow damage, not strength.

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 31
Join date : 2011-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Namorax on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 pm

If you need more strength to pull a bow, the arrows it shoots hit a lot harder. I cant really explain the theory behind it but thats the gist.
If an archer had godly strength, he could use a ballista as bow, and everyone knows that a ballista hits harder/deadlier then a normal shortbow.

At least thats my theory behind "strength"-archers. There's one in Yureka the guy's called Olio or something. Uses a giant bow most warriors cant use (apparently).

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 74
Join date : 2011-07-13

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  evertosword on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Namorax wrote:Thats because the 505 Dojo disciples went there after volume 1 (dont remember when exactly...). Check out the spoiler summaries for the other volumes and you will see that Pale&Friends were asked by Weed to take care of them.

Thats what fg109 meant. Of course Pale didnt train on the Scarecrow in Volume 1, thats correct.^^

WHooops thats right.

Namorax wrote:If you need more strength to pull a bow, the arrows it shoots hit a lot harder. I cant really explain the theory behind it but thats the gist.
If an archer had godly strength, he could use a ballista as bow, and everyone knows that a ballista hits harder/deadlier then a normal shortbow.

At least thats my theory behind "strength"-archers. There's one in Yureka the guy's called Olio or something. Uses a giant bow most warriors cant use (apparently).

dex·ter·i·ty/dekˈsteritē/
Noun: Skill in performing tasks, esp. with the hands

I would prefer dexterity archers with a bit of arm strength to pull bows. I'm not really sure. You'll have to clarify a bit more on your theory. What kind of strength are you talking about? How would this help. It feels pointless to shoot a ballista on a deer 20 meters away. Not even sure if you can do it.


iheartz updated his post Very Happy This is a linky linky Btw you need a jcafe account. While you're there go thank him Very Happy Very Happy

iheartz wrote:Note: I haven't found where chapter 2 ends yet, seeing as there's the whole "lack of a table of contents" thing, so I might just cut it off at a certain point.
Chapter 2 (75%?)
(click to show/hide)

Sorry it took so long, what I originally thought was a 2 hour project turned out to be a 16 hour "you have got to be f*cking me" project. Building a catapult was my childhood dream, but in my childhood, I had something called time. Oh yeah, and I didn't have to make it for a grade either. Going to a construction party should have made things easier too, except for the fact that we only had 1 drill, one hand-saw, and one electric saw....between five people and five catapults. I kinda hate my professor right now. Ok, rant/explanation over, expect the rest of chp 2 in a couple of days I guess?
avatar
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 60
Join date : 2011-08-02

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Goodknight on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Namorax wrote:If you need more strength to pull a bow, the arrows it shoots hit a lot harder. I cant really explain the theory behind it but thats the gist.
If an archer had godly strength, he could use a ballista as bow, and everyone knows that a ballista hits harder/deadlier then a normal shortbow.

At least thats my theory behind "strength"-archers. There's one in Yureka the guy's called Olio or something. Uses a giant bow most warriors cant use (apparently).

Once you pull the string past the maximum draw length, it would snap. So once you're past a certain point, your strength will be useless. The reason why it is a lot harder to pull back a ballista is because steel string can hold a lot more energy than string/gut/whatever normal bowstrings are made out of. If the STR archer was using a steel string (or something similar) then yes, he would do a lot more damage. But, assuming that bowstrings in Royal Road are like those in real life, then STR based archers wouldn't be able to increase the pull once it reaches a certain point (the distance from the body to your body, so about an arm's length?)

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 31
Join date : 2011-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  evertosword on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 pm

When I was thinking ballista I don't think the strength required is arm strength. It doesn't seem like these ballistas would be able to rapid fire. I'm half sure a person doesn't need to be steroid strong to operate a ballista. But as for carrying one, I doubt they are meant to be carried.

Can anyone clarify?
avatar
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 60
Join date : 2011-08-02

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Goodknight on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:06 pm

evertosword wrote:When I was thinking ballista I don't think the strength required is arm strength. It doesn't seem like these ballistas would be able to rapid fire. I'm half sure a person doesn't need to be steroid strong to operate a ballista. But as for carrying one, I doubt they are meant to be carried.

Can anyone clarify?

Ballista's are definitely not meant to be pulled by hand. They are siege weapons capable of launching a 1 meter metal shaft 500 yards away. The Ballista's miniature cousin, the Crossbow, had to be reloaded by somebody stepping on the bow with their feet, and then pulling the steel string up with two hands. Google up cocking crossbow for a visual demonstration. Of course, the fact that metal crossbows (basically, most crossbows) are usually 150+ pounds doesn't help.

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 31
Join date : 2011-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Mojo on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 am

Goodknight wrote:

Ballista's are definitely not meant to be pulled by hand. They are siege weapons capable of launching a 1 meter metal shaft 500 yards away. The Ballista's miniature cousin, the Crossbow, had to be reloaded by somebody stepping on the bow with their feet, and then pulling the steel string up with two hands. Google up cocking crossbow for a visual demonstration. Of course, the fact that metal crossbows (basically, most crossbows) are usually 150+ pounds doesn't help.

While there were crossbows with a windlass foot cocking device, there were smaller ones that could be cocked by hand or with the aid of a cranked rack-and-pinion device called a cranequin. Others were made of a combination of wood and brass and were quite light weight compared to 150 lbs, look at the cross bows of the ancient Greeks. Now when I think of a foot drawn "crossbow" I always think of an arbalest, but now I'm quibbling about semantics, right?

Mojo
Reader
Reader

Posts : 13
Join date : 2011-08-30

Character sheet
Name: Tampopo
Class: Mage
Race: Wood Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Vielfras on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 am

I haven't read this volume yet so I don't know what Pale does or uses, but in the topic of str bowman I can say a couple of words.

Strength bowman are not only a myth in MMORPG's but a real life phenomenon. Unlike what most people think, using a bow requires more than just dexterity and accuracy, it requires strength. Even the smallest and simplest bow would be impossible to use for a small child, for the sole reason that he lacks the strength to pull the string back far enough for the bow to be affective.
As bows vary in style, size and material the strength required to pull the string to its maximum efficiency differs.

A part from Wikipedia on bows, regarding the need for strength:
Spoiler:
While the string is held, this stores the energy later released in putting the arrow to flight. The force required to hold the string stationary at full draw is often used to express the power of a bow, and is known as its draw weight. Other things being equal, a higher draw weight means a more powerful bow, which is able to project arrows heavier, faster, or a greater distance.

In bows drawn and held by hand, the maximum draw weight is determined by the strength of the archer. The maximum distance the string could be displaced and thus the longest arrow that could be loosed from it, a bow’s draw length, is determined by the size of the archer. For bows drawn and held mechanically, the maximum draw weight was a matter of engineering. The mechanical force required to draw the string was mainly limited by the time required to do so.

In MMORPG's you will notice that except for unique bows, every common bow comes with a limit of Dex and Str.
For example, to use a shop bought bow the player needs 20 Str and 75 Dex.

However there are unique bows that require only a very high amount of dexterity or an absurd amount of strength most normal bowman will never have.
To use this unique strength bows the archer has to invest a lot of stat points in strength, as a result he will be much weaker than other archers of his level unless he uses special strength bows.
However unlike ordinary bows, strength bows attack is much higher and shoots the arrow farther than regular bows.
In normal MMORPG's Str archers have a lot of problem with accuracy. Since accuracy is determined by the Dex stat strength archer need to find Acc from equipment they wear.


It is an entirely different matter in VRMMORPG's. In virtual reality games, even if a player has terrible aim it can be compensated by the Dex stat, so that when he shoots the A.I helps him with the aim.
So what happens if a championship winning real-life marksmen plays the game? He has no need for the A.I's help and can aim by himself. So in this case instead of raising the Dex stat he can put more points in the Str stat and use higher attack bows, compensating for his lack of accuracy by his own aiming prowess.
A strength archer can take a freakishly huge bow, a bow that even knights and warriors will have a hard time firing it let alone hitting anything, and use it well. Strength Archers are rare as it requires not only dedication and finding the right bow but more than anything talent and good hand to eye coordination

It was mentioned before that in the manga "Yureka"("Id_entity") a guy who is one of the top players in a VR shooting game (where the only thing that matters is your personal aiming skills) when playing "Lost Saga"( the equivalent of "Royal Road") he plays a strength archer.
If you read the Demon Lord arc (Volume 11), in chapter 68 I believe, this strength archer uses a bow bigger than himself with arrows the size of spears!!!
If you haven't read Yureka, read it! Especially if you like LMS.

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-07-12

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Namorax on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:14 am

Thanks for the explanation vielfras. This is what I basically meant to say wehn I meant strength-Archer.

@Goodknight: Of course the bow would snap if you pull it past a certain point. But the more strength you require to reach this specific point, the more force is behind the arrows you shoot ->thus you can deal more damage.

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 74
Join date : 2011-07-13

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  kayue on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am

@Namorex
Thanks for the video link. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Cool Every gamer has felt that way sometime.

kayue
Reader
Reader

Posts : 14
Join date : 2011-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  evertosword on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Oh I recognize and agree that what you say is true. It's definitively true Vielfras. Lets say you train using a broad sword vs long bow. A few novels managed to point this out.

Which muscles do you train in each? Are they the same muscles?
avatar
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 60
Join date : 2011-08-02

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Vielfras on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:14 am

evertosword wrote:Oh I recognize and agree that what you say is true. It's definitively true Vielfras. Lets say you train using a broad sword vs long bow. A few novels managed to point this out.

Which muscles do you train in each? Are they the same muscles?

Pardon me, but could you repeat the question please? Didn't quite understand what you meant by sword vs bow and the novels remark...

About the muscles that are used. Some of them are the same, but to use a sword requires more muscles than when shooting a bow.
I don't mind listing the muscles used for each action, but I'd like to be sure of what you meant first.







Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-07-12

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Namorax on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Hmm I dont mind listing a few muscles, but what would be the point exactly?

As far as I know, Archery is more Hand-Eye-Coordination then aynthing else. You just have to hit your target, and damage is calculated from distance, power of the bow the strength behind the arrow and where you hit. In Swordfights you try to use every muscle in your body to put as much force/weight in your blows as possible without leaving yourself open. the equipment here is secondary: if you got a sharp sword, good for you. If your sword is blunt (as in "not sharp") you can still use it as a club. I'm honestly at a loss to decide if I would rather fight against an agile Swordsan with an exceptionally razor-sharp sword (or two), or against a muscleclad powerhouse with a blunted two-hander...

Btw: any chance the next chapter is done?^^

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 74
Join date : 2011-07-13

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Goodknight on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Idk what you mean, but Chapter 2 is already finished now, Vielfras just didn't remove the "75%" thing yet. As for the next chapter, well releases are usually weekly but who knows?

The title is "Chapter 3: Strength of a Craftsman." Vielfras is probably just updating them by each chapter, whereas the posts on Jcafe include the name of the next chapter in the current editation.
The original summarization on jcafe:

"well. However, because of the sheer size of the Pyramid, it was still not complete. In addition, it was increasingly difficult to build the higher levels, seeing as it was hard to lift the stone that high. Therefore, the stone had to be lifted up a temporary slope made of dirt and sand, slowly carried up to the top.

Chapter 3: Strength of a Craftsman (may also mean creator/sculptor/constructor?)"


Last edited by Goodknight on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Posts : 31
Join date : 2011-07-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum