Moonlight Sculptor Illustration Contest

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Moonlight Sculptor Illustration Contest

Post  Grisia on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Klee's picture of Seoyoon is very nice. It has her cold demeanor in it and its very beautiful. But like Musica pointed out, she's not exactly sad in the beginning but rather more emotionless, kinda void of feeling for the most part. Klee, I believe, is in the right direction, but I think that it needs to express more indifference to life. I say this because I feel from a part in the novel following meeting Weed for the first time, she mentioned that she wished to lose herself in fighting.
Grisia
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Grisia Crues
Class: Sun Knight
Race: Human

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Help!!!!!!

Post  yesyes600 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:27 pm

I just put a submission in and the spoiler tags aren't working or something!!!!!!
What am I doing wrong?
I feel really bad about this T^T Crying or Very sad

yesyes600

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:07 pm

the newest Seoyoon looks GREAT! For one, you really captured the cold, yet emotionless feel, while keeping it from being boring, and not only that, you even colored it! XD

MOD EDIT: Rude/inappropriate content. Either keep your feedback positive, or explain how to make it better. Do not just go on about how "bad" you think something is.
Spoiler:
as for you, yesyes600... I'm sorry to say that your picture has no life. Not in the insult way, I mean it doesn't have any emotion, yet it goes past the boundaries of "emotionless". It has absolutely no life in it, it seems to be just a simple drawing. Weed isn't even an emotionless character...
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Musica
Class: Mage (but uses a sword)
Race: Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grisia on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 pm

SiguusaEcho's picture of Seoyoon is amazing. Nice touch with coloring. Her clothing looks very fantasy like. Overall its a fantastic picture and it depicts her personality very effectively.

MOD EDIT: Rude/inappropriate content. Either keep your feedback positive, or explain how to make it better. Do not just go on about how "bad" you think something is.
Spoiler:
yesyes600's picture of Weed is how do I say this...its meh. Its a decent attempt but overall not exactly the best depiction of Weed. It doesn't really seem to have the same impact as the other submission do.

Last edited by Grisia on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Grisia
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Grisia Crues
Class: Sun Knight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:31 pm

MOD EDIT: Rude/inappropriate content. Do not accuse people of something that they may not have done. At most, ask to verify the situation first.
Spoiler:
Grisia, I'd like it if you simply make your own comments, instead of copying what others say... >.< you pretty much copied what I said on the pictures, but put it in your own words. We don't want the thread to be cluttered due to repetitive comments, do we?
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenneth on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:51 am

Weed describes Seoyoon as a "french doll made of ice". Can i interpret that as shiny and small o_o; (lol)

Also does the instructor's first name ever get mentioned, or is he forever "The instructor/Mr. Lancer"....and does he use a lance?

Kenneth

Character sheet
Name: Kenneth
Class: None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 am

I finally got around to reading the rest of this thread, so…

@Musica, 8/23/11, 6:03:
Artistic interpretation. It exists. It's rude to say "this is wrong" about a picture just because it doesn't meet your interpretation or even the novel's exact descriptions. Very rude.

It's fine to critique, but try to express yourself with the understanding that your opinion is your opinion, not fact, and that you are not a professional art critic, so act more humble.

People are more likely to listen to you that way anyway.

@elkin, 8/24/11, 12:37:
I really love your sketch! My only comment would be that Weed looks kinda old for 20, maybe give him some more youthful lines for his face. I look forward to seeing the less sketchy version!

@yesyes600:
The images weren't showing up because you put the link to the image on DA rather than the link to the image itself, but I edited it and it should be fine now. =)

As for Seoyoon being sad...
"I want to see monsters."

"I can lose myself while I'm fighting them."

"I don't need to think about anything."

"Even the irrevocable truth that I was never loved in my life."

"Stop, Seoyoon. Stay strong."
That struck me as a sad note from her. If she was emotionless, she wouldn't have brought up how she was never loved, nor would she have stopped herself after saying so. The last phrase suggests that she was weak when she thought about how she was never loved, and weakness in this case suggests emotion.

So I'd say portraying Seoyoon as sad is understandable.

Musica. I'll bet that Grisia never even read your post, and you just happened to say similar things. Even if Grisia did get a similar idea from you, it doesn't matter, because that's how Grisia thinks of the picture too. It does help the artist, because one person saying something is one thing, but two people saying the same thing means that it's less likely to be a mistaken critique.
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Name: For Healing Only
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noobarta on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Some reason I can't see Klee's Seoyoon drawing Sad

noobarta
Reader
Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Try clicking the Quote button and copy the image URL from the post and see if that works?
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deddinty on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Alright, it's been brought to my attention that some people are being a bit rude in this thread. Since I've been busy I haven't been paying as much attention as I should. So I'll apologize for that.

So let me say a few things: Artists can have their visions, and helpful critique is useful for artists. But being rude and saying that their art is "wrong" is not helpful. If you feel the need to offer corrections from canon that's fine, but please do it in a courteous way.

If you feel someone has said something unnecessary and demeaning, please let us mods know. We can take steps to correct improper behavior. Blique is going to be in charge of the forums mostly, but I'll be around as well.

Deddinty

Character sheet
Name: Death Knight
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Just some notes:

Criticism is fine. It is welcome. But keep it positive, or at least explain things. Artists can improve if you point out the things that worked in addition to the things that didn't work. As for the things that didn't work, offer advice on how it can be fixed.

Be careful when dealing with artistic interpretation. Just because things don't "make sense" in a practical way doesn't mean they don't look aesthetically pleasing, and maybe that's the artist's intention. If you're going to pass judgment on a picture, take the time to actually analyze it. Look at it from various angles, discuss questionable parts with others. Give the artist the benefit of the doubt before condemning them.

Don't be rude to other commenters. If you feel that they have offended you, read again to see if it was intended or not. You can either ignore it or, without any rudeness or hostility, address the problem and try to reach an understanding.

As for posts that are rude and mod edited, the inappropriate parts are hidden in a spoiler tag, and a red note detailing the problem will be above it. Feel free to rewrite your post to be more appropriate if you wish.

Last edited by Blique on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:43 am

Hmm, I'm kinda scared... now that the posts are under Blique watchful eye I must choose my words with care.

Anyway, I only just now noticed the new submissions. It sure is nice to see more and more fan art.

klee, very good profile. I don't really see the sadness part others have mentioned though. It looks to me like she is sighing...
And as Syeoon probably sighs a lot at how boring life is I think the look suits her perfectly.
You might have been in a hurry to complete the drawing or maybe it was intended but:
Spoiler:
If you look at Seyoons nose you will see a dot that looks like a mole! I believe this was supposed to be her nostril. You should give it a moment and fix it, if it is a mole then fine, but a nostril should be bigger.

yesyes600, I think you were wise to post both drawings.
I prefer the pencil version as it shows more character then the other one.
Spoiler:
It's a good effort and you should always challenge yourself as that is the only way to improve. Line art isn't easy and should be attempted with care.
I'll give you a simple advice and it is your choice if you listen to it or not. When you attempt line art remember that line art drawings tend to come out really flat. For that reason you should always make the outside lines thicker then the inside lines as it dds a little more depth.
yesyes600, for two month now I've been learning to draw, I've always loved to doddle in school and this thread was a good motivation to take it to the next level.
Here is my attempt at line art:
http://eliok.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d3rqldo
Notice how the outer lines are a bit thicker and have more lines and folds next to them.

SiguusaEcho, INCREDIBLE! That is Seyoon! Please, if you have the time, make another one of Weed.
Great coloring, and I just love how you added small details like a pin to hold her cloak and earrings.
Spoiler:
It's hard to make shadows when there is only one light source and almost impossible(unless you are very experienced) to make shadows when there is more then one light source. Your coloring is great but try to simplify the lighting and stick to one light source. I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried, figure where the light is coming from and it made Seyoon disconnected from the background.

I hope you don't get offended, this are things I had trouble figuring on my own the last two month and I doubt I'm any better at them. I suggest you take the time and read about the subject of shadows and light.
I am learning to draw using Andrew Loomis's books and I suggest you read through them as they offer great help on all subjects.
You can download them for free here: http://www.placidchaos.com/AM/index.php/2006/02/21/andrew_loomis
"Figure Drawing for all it's worth" is the book you should concentrate on.

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kirito on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 am

Just some friendly suggestions for SiguusaEcho on your drawing of Seoyoon. These are just my opinions but
Spoiler:
your drawing overall is very (and believe me when I say very I mean VERY) good. I like the eyes (though maybe they should be closer together?), body, clothes, background, and your quotation from the novel (very good idea there). The only thing that "I" thought was off was that her face showed no emotion. I think that If you made her show sadness or maybe, because the statue is in the background, happiness it would look better.
Still very good job overall. I would LOVE to see your version of Weed.
Kirito

Location : A state with more land with more land touching water than California but less than Alaska.

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:48 am

Wait, wait, sorry, I misphrased myself. I don't mean that you should put your critiques in spoiler tags! I meant that any posts that a mod considers rude will be edited so that the rude parts are hidden in a tag, and a warning in red will be given.

This is so people don't have to be offended as they browse the thread, as well as let the poster see what part of what they wrote was rude.

Spoiler tags are not needed for critiques in general, unless they contain spoilers. It's perfectly fine to point out parts you think need work, as long as you do it in a manner that helps the artist understand and improve. Although, if you think your critique seems somewhat rude overall but you still think it would help to post it, feel free to hide it in a spoiler tag with a note that the content may be offensive.

Again, sorry for the mix-up. ^^; And thanks for being courteous. =D
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lalalala~

Post  SiguusaEcho on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Vielfras wrote:
It's hard to make shadows when there is only one light source and almost impossible(unless you are very experienced) to make shadows when there is more then one light source. Your coloring is great but try to simplify the lighting and stick to one light source. I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried, figure where the light is coming from and it made Seyoon disconnected from the background.

Trust me, the whole lighting issue is :'D I died a little while trying to figure it out... The light was supposed to be coming from behind her(the setting sun...) but it didn't really turn out that well xP With that lighting, if I did it properly, Seoyoon & the statue should have been silhouettes like the ambiguous shapes in the BG. Something more like this, I guess:
Spoiler:

Kirito wrote:Just some friendly suggestions for SiguusaEcho on your drawing of Seoyoon. These are just my opinions but your drawing overall is very (and believe me when I say very I mean VERY) good. I like the eyes (though maybe they should be closer together?), body, clothes, background, and your quotation from the novel (very good idea there). The only thing that "I" thought was off was that her face showed no emotion. I think that If you made her show sadness or maybe, because the statue is in the background, happiness it would look better. Still very good job overall. I would LOVE to see your version of Weed.

Drawing & colouring eyes(non-realistic style) is probably my favourite part of drawing, but eye placement is a totally different matter for me. I move facial features around a lot when I draw, but then I realize it totally looks off-kilter so I either redraw, or just revert it to it's original position... Gotta love pen tablets, saves the lives of messy sketchers like me. As for her expression, I did draw it with her 'emotionlessness' in mind, but yeah, I probably could have gotten away with a little more emotion(I woulda went with a little sad). It's just that she didn't come off as particularly.. anything when she left the town(In my perspective) Dx

Thanks again for the thoughtful words! ...I like them. xD

SiguusaEcho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:20 pm

oy oy, i didn't say it was terrible, i just said it lacks emotion >.< still, i guess i could have put it better...

oh, and people, for those who didn't know, there IS an english version of Moonlight Sculptor... but only the first volume. Point is, the COVER of that first volume... I am pretty sure that is either Seoyoon or Hayun(Weed's sis), so please use it for your picture source. Very Happy Although, I think it's Hayun...

Here it is:
Pic of Hayun/Seoyoon:
Spoiler:
http://static.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-moonlight-sculptor-the-birth-of-a-dark-gamer-(book-1)/2710920/thumbnail/320

also, there is a picture of Weed's first good sculpture, meaning, the statue based off of Seoyoon, in the first volume. I think someone uploaded the volume itself onto their blog, but i forgot their name, so if someone can post a link to their blog, it'd be great.
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Musica, the mod notes are written for a reason. >.> The problem in that post isn't particularly that you were using rude words, it's mostly that you were only making vague negative points and not actually doing anything that would help the artist, like suggest what could be done to make it better. And since you're not doing anything to help, the negativeness only serves to lower self-esteem.

And you might want to read the first post of this thread. The English novel illustrations are quite amateurish, and part of the reason this contest is being held is to erase those images from the minds they were burned into. It's specifically stated that artist should not base any of their pictures off of the English novel designs or style...at all.
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  linnil on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:55 pm

OH, look fun! I always come to read the moonlight sculpture here once a few months and just see this topic.

Can I know the color of hair and eye of the characters if there were state in the novel. Thank you Very Happy

(from what I read in this forum I only know that Seoyoon has red hair and weed has silver right?)
linnil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 am

Oh, sorry. Tired&lazy at the time, so I guess I forgot that part. XD

Weed does not have silver hair. Due to him saying that his character will be exactly like him, he won't waste money of hair dye, and him being Korean, it's inevitable that he has black hair. Razz

The new Seoyoon looks great. You truly mixed the sadness with the emotionlessness, and that's hard in itsef. However, you also put up the image of a pro player using complicated designs on weapons and clothing. Very Happy

As for the Weed... the only problem I see is... seeing as how he doesn't have one of his weapons out, he isn't fighting... but either way, he shouldn't have to have all his weapons strapped to him... it's a game, so he should have an inventory. XD
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elkin on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 am

Great entries everyone! It's gonna be a tough contest...

And man do I regret putting in so much detail into Seoyoon's armour. Seriously doubt if I can finish the drawing before the deadline...

elkin
Reader
Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  linnil on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 am

Musica wrote:Oh, sorry. Tired&lazy at the time, so I guess I forgot that part. XD

Weed does not have silver hair. Due to him saying that his character will be exactly like him, he won't waste money of hair dye, and him being Korean, it's inevitable that he has black hair. Razz

The new Seoyoon looks great. You truly mixed the sadness with the emotionlessness, and that's hard in itsef. However, you also put up the image of a pro player using complicated designs on weapons and clothing. Very Happy

As for the Weed... the only problem I see is... seeing as how he doesn't have one of his weapons out, he isn't fighting... but either way, he shouldn't have to have all his weapons strapped to him... it's a game, so he should have an inventory. XD

Hmm... I will keep my submission of weed out for now, because I will edit him. (cause my friend say he has too long leg and arm) OH, and I will draw something to match your description. Thank you for your description of weed. Very Happy

I will not edit my submission of seoyoon anymore though.
linnil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  luchianguyen on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Well, hello there. I'm new. I registered just for this contest but then, I found out i have to wait before I can post my submission, so you will not see it in the submission aread. I feel like I'm going to forget to submit it. It is, however, in the gallery area and watercolored. Feel free to criticize, i can mind rude ones.
and now, my opinions.
They might be rude, I'm not sure because what I consider rude is what people would call straight up blunt, mean and offending. So, in spoilers.

For the last picture, Linni's,'
Spoiler:
( okay, I know almost next to nothing about proportions.. but) could you somehow widen her shoulder and waist? I don't know if this is considered rude to be saying but they say the head is suppose to fit at least two and a half times on the entire shoulder width. And the waist is almost the same width of the shoulders as well. It looks like she needs more meat, but then again.
Spoiler:
She's in a hospital, not getting much nutrients so I suppose it is normal for her to look like skinny and fragile.

I remember seeing someones post and I said YES! THAT IS IT! I dont remember who but it was about Klee's drawing.
Spoiler:
It was good, it captured the character. But the nose bothered me, it would look more natural if it was wider because it really did look like a mole.

Raem.Memiroa's drawing
Spoiler:
was indeed good and I third (does that work?) the opinion that said he looked gentle. I think it would work if he or she lowered the one of the corners and turned it into a smirk. They could always try straightening out the eyebrow but turning his smile into a smirk is less work and it would help.

luchianguyen
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Luchia
Class: Priest
Race: Aquatic elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  linnil on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:38 pm

luchianguyen wrote:Well, hello there. I'm new. I registered just for this contest but then, I found out i have to wait before I can post my submission, so you will not see it in the submission aread. I feel like I'm going to forget to submit it. It is, however, in the gallery area and watercolored. Feel free to criticize, i can mind rude ones.
and now, my opinions.
They might be rude, I'm not sure because what I consider rude is what people would call straight up blunt, mean and offending. So, in spoilers.

For the last picture, Linni's,'
Spoiler:
( okay, I know almost next to nothing about proportions.. but) could you somehow widen her shoulder and waist? I don't know if this is considered rude to be saying but they say the head is suppose to fit at least two and a half times on the entire shoulder width. And the waist is almost the same width of the shoulders as well. It looks like she needs more meat, but then again. She's in a hospital, not getting much nutrients so I suppose it is normal for her to look like skinny and fragile.

OH, I can say my friend harsher than you guy and I can take negative suggestion. As you say I probably draw her too skinny (just my habit thought).
linnil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:01 pm

I like ...
Arcedemius's first picture although, his second is fine too.
http://oddsquad.userboard.net/t68-moonlight-sculptor-illustration-contest-submission#780

Raem.Memiroa's picture is nice too although, I feel like the bow and the sword are too small. The sword is too fancy. Oh forgot it was a carving knife but if you look at gavi's art a regular long thin blade makes more sense than one that is twisted and curvy.
http://oddsquad.userboard.net/t68-moonlight-sculptor-illustration-contest-submission#833

gavi's picture is amazing. Gavi must have spent alot of time drawing it. Lovely delicate art. This will have my vote out of all of them.
http://oddsquad.userboard.net/t68-moonlight-sculptor-illustration-contest-submission#1011

All in all, all of your art is amazing. Anything better than how I draw is amazing. I don't draw ha ha Very Happy. Thats why we have people like you who are artistically sensible.
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:04 pm

MOD EDIT: Please stop referring to parts of a picture as "problems" when everything you mention is artistic choice. At most, please phrase them as genuine questions, as opposed to rhetorical ones. And please understand that artist are allowed to have freedom in what they want to draw.

Spoiler:
Very nice work. However, there are a few problems that has to do with the clothes...

1. Why is Weed wearing goggles?
2. If he has the knife in his hand, why does he have another sheathed at his side?
3. Weed likes either cheap or powerful equipment, and those clothes don't look either one...
4. Why is there an aura coming out of the knife?
5. Why does he need to have anything sheathed at all? There is an inventory he can just take the weapons out and put back in whenever he wants...
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content