Moonlight Sculptor Illustration Contest

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moonlight Sculptor Illustration Contest

Post  noobzilla on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 pm

ALL SUBMISSIONS GO >>>>> HERE <<<<<<

Contest rules:
  1. Contest Deadline: 30th September 2011
  2. Main objective: Preferred but not restricted to Weed and/or Seoyoon.
  3. Weed is 20 years old, so keep the age in mind when drawing him. Seoyoon is also a similar age. Weed's party is probably a few years younger
  4. Illustration must feature one or more character from the novel "Legendary Moonlight Sculptor".
  5. Multiple submissions by the same person is allowed
  6. Comics or 3D works are accepted.
  7. Videos, animations, or art made from bases are NOT accepted.
  8. Do your best to show off your skills, since your work might be used for all things Moonlight Sculptor related on our site (see below to read more).
  9. No nudity.
  10. No joint art (each entry must have a single artist).
  11. No illustrations containing spoilers [i.e. of chapters not yet on novel.oddsquad.org].
  12. IMPORTANT: DO NOT copy the art style in the English LMS novel. In fact, stay as far away from it as possible... it's gross.

[*] EDIT: Feel free to use your imagination, if you wish to stay within canonic content read content in the spoiler tag. Also for further info read the first two pages of this topic, more than that will put wrong ideas in your head.

Spoiler:

Seoyoon's
Hair: very long and red
Eye colour: unknown
Equipment: High level reddish armour
Note: exceptionally beautiful

Weed:
Hair: not mentioned
Eyes: not mentioned
Equipment: low level leather at the moment, gets more epic as the story progresses (so choose whatever)
Note: Average 20 year old Korean. (no harm in making him good looking)

Long-Term Rewards - Hunt for an artist
If you are judged to be good enough, your work will be featured as unofficial Moonlight Sculptor art on our site. Meaning:
  1. You'll be the primary artist for Moonlight Sculptor as far as Oddsquad or the English-speaking readers are concerned.
  2. You can be a full member of Oddsquad, but you have to agree to illustrate stuff for us!
  3. If you don't wish to participate in this part of the reward, please specify.

Normal Contest winners
  1. 1st Place:Sneak peak into an unreleased chapter of any two projects of your choice [given it exists]. Your art will be featured in the next batch of manga releases.
  2. 2nd Place: Sneak peak into an unreleased chapter of any one projects of your choice [given it exists].

Example: (the only worthy official novel cover)

ALL SUBMISSIONS GO >>>>> HERE <<<<<<

Last edited by noobzilla on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Jung
Class: Very High.
Race: Human

View user profile http://oddsquad.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Moonlight Sculptor Illustration Contest

Post  elkin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:36 am

EDIT: forgot to mention, it'd be useful to know the characters' dominant hand (which determines where the weapons will be drawn etc), as well as colours.

Is there any information regarding what Seoyoon or Weed look like? I'm drawing something for the contest, but I don't want to include anything that contradicts info in later novels.

Last edited by elkin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add another quesiton)

elkin
Reader
Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 pm

elkin wrote:EDIT: forgot to mention, it'd be useful to know the characters' dominant hand (which determines where the weapons will be drawn etc), as well as colours.

Is there any information regarding what Seoyoon or Weed look like? I'm drawing something for the contest, but I don't want to include anything that contradicts info in later novels.

Here is the answer to your questions in three parts. First is basic stuff, read it for help. Second is more necessary stuff. Third, you should only read if you want the best details. If you want the best details, read all three of them. :3

(reading this probably won't do much harm) sort-of-spoiler part:
Spoiler:
most of the characters are right-handed, and Weed, at this point, still wears noobie(not noobz) items, which should be white, grey, and various shades of brown. As for the other characters, it doesn't say, but you can kind of make them out by their classes. For example, Romune, the priest, uses healing and white magic, so it's only fitting that their clothes are white, with some parts being red or things like that. Also, while Seoyoon is known to be exceptionally beautiful, Weed is known to look kind of dull and ugly, yet having a very powerful body. Weed has no care in how he looks, but Seoyoon is rich, and dresses herself as such, with long red hair.

(might do some harm) spoiler part:
Spoiler:
Again, Weed is currently wearing low-class, weak-looking clothes, weilding a Clay Sword(grey), Zahab's Engraving Knife(fancy), and a bow(simple), while Seoyoon wears bright red, fancy, high-class armor. Weed's clothes get better and better as the series goes on, but as for Saeyoon, although her case is the same, her clothes remain basically the same. Red, fancy, and high-class.

(THIS WILL DEFINATELY SPOIL LATER CHAPTERS) epic spoiler part:
Spoiler:
In the current book, Volume 31, Weed is wearing an armor(white) he created himself made of Holy Helium, it being a godly-rated item in game terms. His sword(red) is Redstar, another godly item, for it is extremely powerful, not to mention that it allows the user to use fire spells, which he takes advantage of. His shield(gold and silver) is also godly-ranked, with designs from ancient kingdoms on it. Upon his neck is a gloomy-looking necklace with a blood-red ruby. He also wears a cape, a pair of boots, pair of arm guards, pair of leg guards, and a pair of gloves, although they don't have much description to them, they are also high-ranked. The spell he uses the most seems to be "Blink", which allows him to teleport as if he became wind. As for his comrades, he travells solo most of the time, but in big battles he has a Golden Man, a few Wyverns, a Pheonix, an Ice Dragon, a Cow, a Hydra, a Black Dragon, Torido the Vampire Lord, and a Death Knight named Van Hawke.
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Musica
Class: Mage (but uses a sword)
Race: Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elkin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks so much! Good thing I asked, I initially envisaged Saeyoon with
Spoiler:
black hair

Also, any specifics on what kind of ugly? I think I saw somewhere
Spoiler:
that Weed has a lean but muscular body? But at the same time, everyone seems to think he is weak on first sight. How does this reconcile?

Appreciate your help Smile

elkin
Reader
Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 pm

elkin wrote:Thanks so much! Good thing I asked, I initially envisaged Saeyoon with
Spoiler:
black hair

Spoiler:
that Weed has a lean but muscular body? But at the same time, everyone seems to think he is weak on first sight. How does this reconcile?

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure she is black-haired in real life, and red-hair in game. it didn't say.

like, looks older than he is supposed to be. and he both looks and is pretty strong. they were only talking about levels, since he has terrible equips at the moment.
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Submissions

Post  AshStone on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Are we only limited to one submission per person?
AshStone

Character sheet
Name: AshStone
Class: Assassin
Race: Hmm... i wonder *evil chuckle*

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:31 pm

No, you can do however many you want.
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bloodside on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:19 pm

elkin wrote:Thanks so much! Good thing I asked, I initially envisaged Saeyoon with
Spoiler:
black hair

Spoiler:

I thought he wasn't ugly. He was just inbetween, not ugly but not too attractive either.
Spoiler:
That's what i got from the translation in Jcafe about princess knight. Or maybe the girls just acted that way because of how weed's sister described him as very very cool, which they found out as he did princess knight in 10 minutes?

But anyway yea i thought he was described as a "he's not bad but by looks i wouldn't pick him first". Which i think would suit him way better don't you think?

Last edited by Blique on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put spoilers in spoiler tags.)

Bloodside

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Bloodside wrote:But anyway yea i thought he was described as a "he's not bad but by looks i wouldn't pick him first". Which i think would suit him way better don't you think?

no, he's ugly, but
Spoiler:
due to his powerful bond with his sister, he became known as "Princess' Knight". his little sis being the "Princess", of course.
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bloodside on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Musica wrote:
Bloodside wrote:But anyway yea i thought he was described as a "he's not bad but by looks i wouldn't pick him first". Which i think would suit him way better don't you think?

no, he's ugly, but
Spoiler:
due to his powerful bond with his sister, he became known as "Princess' Knight". his little sis being the "Princess", of course.

Spoiler:
i thought he was called the princess knight cause of the princess contest lol, and well that sucks it didn`t seem like he was ugly from these linse right here " Didn't we sing the song of the day we meed your brother?"
"Yes. Isn't he handsome? "
"... He's just plain ...."
Her Friends didn't hide their disappointment.
Until now, Hyeyeon embellished her brothers appearance like a pro, but there
was a huge discrepency.

so i made the assumption that he was ok looking not ugly o3o

Last edited by Blique on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put spoilers in spoiler tags!)

Bloodside

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReddishWhite on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:15 am

Bloodside wrote:
Musica wrote:

no, he's ugly, but
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
i thought he was called the princess knight cause of the princess contest lol, and well that sucks it didn`t seem like he was ugly from these linse right here " Didn't we sing the song of the day we meed your brother?"
"Yes. Isn't he handsome? "
"... He's just plain ...."
Her Friends didn't hide their disappointment.
Until now, Hyeyeon embellished her brothers appearance like a pro, but there
was a huge discrepency.

so i made the assumption that he was ok looking not ugly o3o

Spoiler:
I also assumed he was plain-looking based on Weed's sister's friend's reactions.
He's not extremely good looking. Instead, he's average, or "plain" as the girls put it. Then there's the fact that he attracted all these women while playing. I doubt he could have attracted so many women if he was an ugly dude, regardless of how he acts.

Edit: Even if Weed really does happen to be ugly, this image will be posted along with every chapter update right? Considering that, it would probably be better that he isn't depicted as some freak of nature.

ReddishWhite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Definitely not ugly. that's just Musica's interpretation <.<. Main characters are never ugly unless it is a particular trait he/she is constantly having a complex about. Besides ugly characters cannot charm their way into things as Weed does.

Consider this, nearly every single shounen manga you read starts with this setting:

"Average ___ year old boy, <insert name>, suddenly does through shocking event and his adventure starts"

From that you can tell plain just means he's not supposed to be shockingly handsome, but still good looking enough to appeal to the reader!
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Dangit people, put spoilers in spoiler tags unless you're in a spoiler thread! I'm gonna start downing rep if I see any more. -.-

What Noobz says. When a story says a character is ugly or not good-looking, that means he's not a total bishie; he's just "normal". For example...Goku (Dragon Ball Z), Luffy (One Piece), Sasahara (Genshiken) - you wouldn't really call them good-looking, but they're not terribly ugly. Exceptions of this "rule" are when the "ugliness" play a big part in the story, like in Stalker (by Dan Woo).
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Name: For Healing Only
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:26 pm

i was pretty sure it said in the book that
Spoiler:
he was ugly, but i could have misread it. and Weed charms his way out of things using WORDS, so i wouldn't be surprised if he could do so while still being ugly. >.>
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:40 pm

However, if he was ugly, there would be more instances where the characters he meets show expressions of revulsion or, at the very least, surprise, before Weed ever opens his mouth.

Take Volk (chapter 6), for instance. People were literally screaming at the sight of him. Though it's more because he looks "scary" than "ugly", the matter is the same - his face was emphasized multiple times even though he only appeared in one chapter, yet Weed's level of handsomeness is ambiguous compared to all the screen time he gets. On the other end of the meter, Seoyoon is often mentioned to be beautiful.

Seeing how Weed is not emphasized to be ugly, nor is he emphasize to be handsome, I'd put him as average.

Anyway, just remember this, artists: What you are illustrating is not a word-for-word depiction down to a science. You are entering a contest that readers will vote in, so you need to make your Weed look like...Weed. The Weed that the readers know and love. Heck, you can even draw him in a suit and tie in the American Prohibition era if you think it portrays Weed best.

In the end, it's not about what's the most precise, it's about what's the most appealing. Though, if you can make it both precise and appealing, and you wanna do that, then go for it. Just know you gotta fill some of the gaps with your own imagination.
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Name: For Healing Only
Class:
Race:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 pm

people kept thinking he was older than he is. so yeah... still whatever. the pictures are about the drawers' imagination anyway.
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ReddishWhite on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:24 pm

As an aside, has anyone here read Veritas? When I think of Weed, I inevitably think of the protagonist of that series, Gangryong or however you spell it.

ReddishWhite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elkin on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 am

Lol, didn't expect this to spark off quite the discussion it did. Anyhow, I'm really not going for precision here, just don't want to say, make Seoyoon's hair blue only to have the novel contradict it later on.

Kinda tempted to sketch my way through things, but I'll see if I can get through at least one colour pic before letting loose lol.

elkin
Reader
Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:42 pm

I guess this "non-description" of Weed is intentional:

All we know is that he is neither Good-looking, nor ugly.
And since we can use our own imagination to fill in the rest, we feel closer to him then otherwise. Hell, since I am also neither good- nor bad-looking I can imagine myself as Weed. (Yep, I'm totally normal if you dont mind the fact I'm wearing glasses, which Weed obviously doesnt Razz)

And I really believe thats the reason for the vague reactions. As long as the guy can be described as "guy-next-door" (not really fat or loaded with muscles, is not the prettiest or the ugliest guy, isnt very intelligent or dumb, etc...)

Other then that... the only thing left would be: "He got a face only a sister/mother could love."

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:10 pm

no... Weed has very good muscles, as first explained in the volumes where
Spoiler:
Weed goes to the camp with his friends from his new school
. kk?
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bloodside on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

i imagined him as toned, not loaded with muscles but with the muscles he has are extremely strong and scary like. i was thinking that his muscles were sorta like manny paquiao's. when he's wearing a shirt he isn't that impressive, but when he takes it off you can see all the extremely fine toned muscles. Though imagine weed to be a bit meatier, than manny paquiao.

Though that's justt my imagination Very Happy

Bloodside

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lareyn on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:33 am

That's how I imagined Weed as well, I mean he can be muscled and not look like a freaking body-builder, seen as he trained for a year I'd like to think his muscles are actually useful to him, not for show only. (There's different ways of building muscles, Id like to believe his are the naturally occuring ones that don't look too impressive but are fine-toned and powerful. I've seen plenty of people who look skinny and just, weak. But under the shirt they've got powerful muscles. First time I saw that I freaked out a little. {He was a football *soccer* player in my class, I went o.O})
But overall I'd be more worried about Seoyoon, I mean we at least have one decent picture of Weed, but nothing on her.
Lareyn
Reader
Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elkin on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:33 am

Beautiful girls are easier to draw lol.

elkin
Reader
Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Musica on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:48 pm

You guys are (most likely) right... except for the last person. For that, it depends on the drawer. Just don't draw him as a non-bearded Chuck Norris or something like that.
Musica
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lareyn on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:43 am

What if we draw him as a bearded Chuck Norris? >:}