Thanks Translators, Question, how does the bookmark method work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thanks Translators, Question, how does the bookmark method work?

Post  elvensong on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:24 am

Cheese in the Trap is my favorite Manwha Very Happy and I especially LOVE being able to support the author by reading it through the bookmark method on the Navar site itself. I had been reading it through their official translations on webtoons.com but... er... well, truth to tell, YOUR translations are just so much better. Not to look down on their versions, but, honestly, bless you guys, every one.

Anyway, I am not a computer genius but I have been curious as I read your work on Navar itself just by clicking that bookmark how you guys do it. If it isn't too much trouble, can you tell me how a bookmark can implant translation without actually taking me away from the original site, or changing the URL at all? I'm just facinated that this is even possible, so I'm wondering how it works. Every time I figure I have a reasonably good sense of what computers can do something new and amazing shows up that tells me this world is far wider than I can imagine.

BTW, use small words, please Embarassed I'm not kidding when I admit I am not a genius at this stuff lol. If it's too much to explain that's totally OK, just say so, no problem at all, k? tongue I'd totally rather have you working on translations!

elvensong
Trainee
Trainee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post  elvensong on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:29 am

Yay, another chapter of CITT. I love it Very Happy. I tried scanning the next several chapters just on pictures, but oh, how much better it is when you can read the text as well rabbit

elvensong
Trainee
Trainee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanks Translators, Question, how does the bookmark method work?

Post  Doonge on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:11 am

How it works in small words:

When you are on their website and use our bookmark, the bookmark launches some code that is able to modify the page you are viewing.

So, the bookmark asks our server "hey, do you know this webtoon, and have you translated this chapter? If yes please send me the overlay URLs please", and our server sends back the overlay URL.
As soon as the code has confirmation about overlay, it mixes the original images with the overlays.

Here's an example of overlay (mainly transparent images that contains the pixel needed to clean and typeset the images):
https://315b119b258e4349a3e2ab73ec5bd76e14b77dc6.googledrive.com/host/0B837Z5TNit78TDBpVWhCamNOLVU/cheese-trap/96/no96p06.png
(you can even spot the korean that the overlay will make disappear).

In fact, the bookmark could work without overlay and with full translated images, but doing it with overlay has some advantages:
- it's more lawful (we do not distribute the autho's drawings, the overlay are useless alone)
- the files are very light.

One disadvantage is that rebuilding the images takes some computer power, and that's hardly okay with mobile browsing (the code should be improved for mobile browsing).

Currently, the bookmark does a bit more, as it also translate the website layout (translate some menu, some titles, plays with the webtoons order when you are viewing a webtoon list), and works on other publishers (naver, daum, olleh, nate, ttale). Although nobody uses it for the other publisher, except Daum (BlackHorus translates Famous Man and Black Behemot there).
Doonge
Artisan
Artisan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wow, cool.

Post  elvensong on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:43 am

Thank you Doonge, for the explanation and the small words. What an amazing world computer tech is. I especially appreciated the overlay link. Super cool, you rock! cheers

elvensong
Trainee
Trainee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank u

Post  VifSae on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:11 pm

OMG I've been waiting this update since forever! Thank u so much Dongee! Really good work. Keep it on. ^^

VifSae

Back to top Go down

Finally

Post  another guest on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:08 pm

thank you so muchhh for the update :")))

another guest

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanks Translators, Question, how does the bookmark method work?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top